Bar

7/1/14

Recap Installation, Sculpture and Video Mapping


http://www.vjdeliria.com/recap.html 
Recap was a total success last Saturday! I am super proud and happy to have shared my work with thousands of art lovers and to received hundreds of compliments before, during, and after the event. Having said that, I would like to also share the hard work behind this installation through a page I've set up on my site where you can read Recap's art statement, watch the process time-lapse from beginning to end, videos of the work in action, and a picture gallery. 

I was asked some questions by ELAB about this Recap installation and here are my answers. 

Name: Vj Deliria

Name of your work: Recap
Tell us about your project: How did the idea for it first come to you?
I drew inspiration for this installation from a blend of historical and modern themes: 
1)  Pre-Columbian art from the Olmec culture. Growing up in Mexico City I learned about the ancient civilizations that flourished in Central, South, and North America prior to the arrival of the first conquistadors, and the Colonial period. One of the cultures I was most fascinated by was the Olmec. The monumental stone carved heads are found in the southern states of Mexico, and I’ve always thought about these massive faces representing entire communities, their art, and history. The face I am building for Recap pays homage to the stone faces of the Olmec culture that date back to 900 BC. You can find more info on these colossal heads here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olmec_colossal_heads
2)  Digital technologies such as the internet, computer software, wireless communications, and smart phones. These modern technologies affect how we interact with each other, and the amount of information that bombards us 24 hours a day is something I am very interested in. The head I am building for this installation consists of 157 polygon pieces. This copious amount of polygons represent the bits of information that goes directly into our brains every single second of the day. I would like the spectators to reflect on what we process on a daily basis, each in our own lives, and together as a society.

Where did you prepare your work: 
The head sculpture was built at the Pierce Arrow Film Art Center (PAFAC), where I am doing a Summer Art Residency in preparation for City of Night. I am also doing a short film on this installation’s art process for the PAFAC’s online archive. This installation is 10ft x 7ft, so the space provided by the PAFAC is something I am grateful for, and I enjoy working there, as it is a place full of history and creative people.


What would surprise people about your artistic process? 
I mix several techniques when working on large installations such as this one. First, I start sketching on paper my general idea. Then I scan the sketches and bring them into the computer where I do another digital sketch in illustrator. I then project the final vector image onto a flat surface where I do the first real scale tracing on foam board. The second tracing is done on plywood, and the third one is done on the sculpture surface material, in this case it is white corrugated cardboard donated by Tim Hortons.
 After the tracing is done, I cut out all the shapes and assemble them together, creating the depth of the polygon-face. After these polygon pieces are put together, they are attached to the plywood. Once the face sculpture is made, I can then start to work on the animation, video, and time-lapse production. The face is white, which makes for a perfect screen-like shape to project on. Throughout the year I film nature and urban landscapes as much as I can. The collection of original content is going to be projected onto the face, along with time-lapses I’ve taken around the Buffalo area.

Working with traditional techniques and digital technologies is what makes this installation interesting and unique. The mix of visual elements are paired with audio (electronic music) so the final piece is a really balanced work. I guess people would be surprised as to how much work I put into a multimedia installation such as Recap.  

What is your ideal artist-fuel?  (Food, drink, naps, music to keep you going...) 
Music, love, happiness, nature, and the good in the world. I make art to balance the bad things that happen in the world. I dedicate my work to those people that have died in untimely circumstances, the people that suffer, the sick, the animals, and plants that we kill, and the negative forces that surround mankind. I think the best way to protest against the evil in the world is to make art for the sake of it, I call it a "love-art-protest," in an effort to heal the planet.
Tell us about your first time visiting Silo City: 
The first time I visited silo city was three years ago when I heard about the City of Night project. I had never been at Silo City, and back then there was not a lot going on there. I participated in the first and second year of City of Night, and it has been great to see Silo City becoming a stronger, and more well known place for art, festivals, gatherings, and social events. 
What other abandoned or overlooked spaces in WNY would you like to make art inside of? The Central Terminal and the back complex of the Pierce Arrow Building.

What materials are you using?  Do you have a good disastrous tale of artistic experimentation gone wrong? 
I am using wood, wire, cardboard, and digital software like illustrator, Photoshop, after effects, VDMX, a projector, and a computer.

What feeling or question do you want participants in City of Night to leave feeling or thinking about after they experience your work? 
I want viewers to think about how big this head is, and the images they see projected onto it in relation to their own minds, and what they store in there. I want them to take a moment of introspection and think about themselves in relationship to the world that we live in. I know this might sound trippy, but art gives us the freedom to question these big issues. I want them to zoom out, and realize we live on planet Earth, we are floating in space, all together as a single entity. I want them to relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy life with as much love as possible. Ultimately I want them to smile, I like when people smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment